RESEARCH & PUBLICATIONS
– “Annotating Without Anxiety: Achieving Adaptability, Accessibility, and Accountability Through ATI” (Conditionally Accepted, P.S.:Political Science & Politics).
Under Revision or Review
– “Private Eyes in the Sky: Emerging Technology and the Political Consequences of Eroding Government Secrecy,” with Erik Lin-Greenberg (Revise and Resubmit, Journal of Conflict Resolution).
Reports & Monographs
– “Command and Control of U.S. Air Force Combat Support in a High-End Fight,” RAND Corporation (with Don Snyder, Kristin F. Lynch, Colby P. Steiner, John G. Drew, Myron Hua, Miriam E. Marler), forthcoming.
– “Analysis of Global Management of Air Force War Reserve Materiel to Support Operations in Contested and Degraded Environments,” RAND Corporation (with Kristin F. Lynch, Anthony DeCicco, Bart E. Bennett, John G. Drew, Amanda Kadlec, Vikram Kilambi, Kurt Klein, James Leftwich, Miriam E. Marlier, Ronald G. McGarvey, Patrick H. Mills, Robert S. Tripp, and Anna Jean Wirth), forthcoming.
– “Sanctioning Iran,” GSB Case No. P75, Stanford Graduate School of Business Publishing (with Condoleezza Rice, Charles Nicas, Cameron Bell, and Daniel Slate), 2011.
Working Papers & Works-in-Progress (Selected)
– No Wider War: Civil-Military Relations, Wartime Decision-Making, and the Politics of Victory, Stalemate, and Defeat” (Dissertation Project).
– “Deference and Defiance: Commitment Traps, Civil-Military Gaps, and Presidential Decision-Making During Ongoing Wars” (Latest Draft: September 2020).
– “All Popular Means: The Impact of UN Security Council Authorization and Domestic Political Cues on Public Attitudes Toward the Use of Force” (Latest Draft: April 2018).
A soldier looks out over Baghdad, Iraq, from Vice President Joe Biden’s helicopter as it flies from Camp Victory, Aug. 30, 2010. (Official White House Photo by David Lienemann)
Policy Commentary (Selected)
“How Close Did the United States Actually Get to Using Nuclear Weapons in Vietnam in 1968?” War on the Rocks, October 24, 2018.
“Clausewitz as ‘The Last Jedi’? Culminating Points of Victory, Civil-Military Relations, and Strategy in Star Wars,” War on the Rocks, December 25, 2017
“Want to Build Support for ‘America First’? Try the UN,” Duck of Minerva, October 9, 2017.
“Why Bombing to Win in Iraq Will Fail,” The National Interest, August 14, 2014.
“Oversimplifying Condoleezza Rice,” The National Interest, March 18, 2014.
“Anti-Gay Laws’ Dangerous Impact,” The Washington Post (Letter to the Editor), March 17, 2014.
“To Move Beyond DADT, Repeal DOMA,” The Advocate, September 19, 2012.