RESEARCH & PUBLICATIONS
– “Private Eyes in the Sky: Emerging Technology and the Political Consequences of Eroding Government Secrecy,” with Erik Lin-Greenberg, 2021, Journal of Conflict Resolution 65(6): 1067-97.
– “Annotating Without Anxiety: Achieving Adaptability, Accessibility, and Accountability Through ATI,” 2021, P.S.:Political Science & Politics 54(3): 483-86.
Reports & Monographs
– “Command and Control of U.S. Air Force Combat Support in a High-End Fight,” RAND Corporation (with Don Snyder, Kristin Lynch, Colby Steiner, John Drew, Myron Hua, Miriam Marler), 2021.
– “Analysis of Global Management of Air Force War Reserve Materiel to Support Operations in Contested and Degraded Environments,” RAND Corporation (with Kristin Lynch, Anthony DeCicco, Bart Bennett, John Drew, Amanda Kadlec, Vikram Kilambi, Kurt Klein, James Leftwich, Miriam Marlier, Ronald McGarvey, Patrick H. Mills, Robert Tripp, and Anna Jean Wirth), 2021.
– “Sanctioning Iran,” GSB Case No. P75, Stanford Graduate School of Business Publishing (with Condoleezza Rice, Charles Nicas, Cameron Bell, and Daniel Slate), 2011.
Working Papers & Works-in-Progress (Selected)
– No Wider War: Leaders, Advisors, and the Politics of Wartime Decision-Making (Book-Length Manuscript).
– “Deference and Defiance: Reversals, Reckonings, and Presidential Decision-Making During Wartime” (Latest Draft: September 2021).
– “Problems of Professionalism: Has Huntington Caused a Crisis in Civil-Military Relations?" (Latest Draft: July 2021).
– “All Popular Means: The Impact of UN Security Council Authorization and Domestic Political Cues on Public Attitudes Toward the Use of Force” (Latest Draft: April 2018).
A soldier looks out over Baghdad, Iraq, from then-Vice President Joe Biden’s helicopter as it flies from Camp Victory, Aug. 30, 2010. (Official White House Photo by David Lienemann)
Policy Commentary (Selected)
"Boots on the Ground, Eyes in the Sky: How Commercial Satellites Are Upending Conflict," with Erik Lin-Greenberg, Foreign Affairs, May 30, 2022.
"Private Eyes in the Sky: How Commercial Satellites Are Transforming Intelligence," with Erik Lin-Greenberg, Foreign Affairs, September 23, 2021.
"Commercial satellites — not U.S. intelligence — revealed China’s missile program," with Erik Lin-Greenberg, The Washington Post, The Monkey Cage, August 3, 2021.
“How Close Did the United States Actually Get to Using Nuclear Weapons in Vietnam in 1968?” War on the Rocks, October 24, 2018.
“Clausewitz as ‘The Last Jedi’? Culminating Points of Victory, Civil-Military Relations, and Strategy in Star Wars,” War on the Rocks, December 25, 2017
“Want to Build Support for ‘America First’? Try the UN,” Duck of Minerva, October 9, 2017.
“Why Bombing to Win in Iraq Will Fail,” The National Interest, August 14, 2014.
“Oversimplifying Condoleezza Rice,” The National Interest, March 18, 2014.
“Anti-Gay Laws’ Dangerous Impact,” The Washington Post (Letter to the Editor), March 17, 2014.
“To Move Beyond DADT, Repeal DOMA,” The Advocate, September 19, 2012.